Monday, July 4, 2011

A Blog of Firsts

While this is the second post on my blog, it is still a first. I am composing this update from my phone! I have a BlackBerry Bold (cue the jokes about me having a BlackBerry). It doesn't have all the bells and whistle's of an iPhone or Android powered phone, but the keyboard is nice (just let me focus on the positives). And no, I will probably not get another BlackBerry when the time for a new phone comes.

Now onto what I really want to talk about today, running. I have signed up to run the Monumental Marathon, another first, in downtown Indy on November 5th. If you are a mathematician you are saying to yourself, wow! That's only four months. I wonder if he can do it? Your question is valid because I have been asking myself the same question.

A little back story. I have completed two 1/2 marathons. Both of which were the Indy Mini-Marathon in 2008 and 2009 respectively. In 2008 I ran it in 1:16:42. I felt good through 10.5 miles before I hit the wall for the next mile and I was able to recover for the .6 miles. In 2009 my training was going great. I put in my first 100 mile week ever during the first week of April, about a month before the mini. Unfortunately I got sick the next week and was only able to run 10 miles. I had strep throat and it lingered all the way up to the race. I remember coughing up some nasty stuff while standing at the start line. This time I died around the 6 mile mark which is on the track at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I limped in to the finish at around 1 hour 21 minutes. I don't remember my time because I have tried to forget the race. Since then my training has not been the same. I have managed a few decent spurts of training, but nothing close to what I will experience over the next few months.

My plan is to put my own spin on Jack Daniels' marathon training plan. His plan consists of four phases each of which have their own levels of intensity. They are supposed to each last 4 weeks. However, I am currently running 4 miles 3xweek plus a longer run with my wifey Sarah. I am going to continue to increase my mileage until 8 weeks out from the marathon. Then I will pick up Jack's plan and follow it as close as I can, but for me each phase will be 2 weeks long.

So wish me luck! I'm sure going to need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment